Monday, April 2, 2007

Surprise

I went and caught Meet the Robinsons last Thursday. It was one of those rare days that I actually got up before noon these days. I was supposed to go to the L'oreal Warehouse Sale in Park Royal to get Prof Karen Walker some beauty products.

Actually, funny story. He had me go to Park Royal the week before for the sale. When I got there, the place was totally empty. When I SMSed him, he said it was his bad and that the sale was actually next week. Can you believe it? I was punked! It was not even April Fools Day. Hmm, guess it’s not really funny. Heh.

So I went last Thursday. His beautification products were not available but there was the Biotherm Homme Abdosculpt for 70 bucks. He said it was cheap considering the normal price is about 200 something. So I bought him one and got ESS one. Oh, oops, that was supposed to be a surprise. Oh well, cat’s out of the bag.

Then I went to Times Square and saw my cousin. He wanted some money. We had a late lunch at Secret Recipe, then I caught the movie. Meet the Robinsons marks Disney’s foray back into animation after a long hiatus. Or should I say, after letting Pixar do all the heavy lifting.

The movie is about an orphan named Lewis who coincidentally is quite the genius. He is searching for his mother, who abandoned him at an orphanage when he was a baby. He got this brilliant idea to tap into the brain to find a memory (so that he could remember what his mom looked like and attempt to find her).

A good looking boy showed up claiming he was from the future, telling Lewis he needed to finish the memory extracting machine thingy. He also warns Lewis of a villain he aptly called the Bowler Hat Guy.

Of course, Lewis totally blew him off until the boy proved he was actually from the future. It was at this point where the movie picked up its stride. Yup, it was quite a snoozer for a while.

The landscape of the future city was reminiscent of the one from the Robots movie. In fact, when a robot with a personality showed up, I could not help but be reminded of Robin Williams’ robot in Robots.

For an animated movie and a Disney one to boot, the laughs are few and far in between. There’s a hilarious sequence with a talking frog and also a Tyrannosaurus. There might have been a couple of other scenes that was rib-tickle worthy but I spaced. It was quite forgettable actually. I was a little disappointed. Disney used to be the master when it comes to animation. Aladdin? Beauty & the Beast? The Lion King? What happened? Sigh.

4 comments:

hellgayboy said...

huhuhu..bertambah "channtteeqqqq" la nampaknya laki uolss lepas inieeww!!jgn makan hati lagi sudah...muahahaha...

Lau Niang said...

i so totally know what you mean....not all disney productions gurantee a good movie these days....unlike the golden ages.... ;p

raden putra said...

yea... i remembered loving the genie of aladdin when i first watched it when i was 5yrs old.

Evan Owens said...

Hellfagboy, ye tak ye gak ek? Terus kansel nak kasik dia mende itew...

Cikgu, word...

Raden, 5 years old? Are you sure it's not 25?